75-Hour Real Estate Salesperson Course
How to become a Real Estate salesperson in New York?
All applicants for a real estate salesperson license must attend and successfully complete New York State approved 75 hour salesperson qualifying licensing training class and pass a school real estate salesperson exam prior to licensure. Proof of satisfactory completion of this course must be furnished to the Department of State by school certification on the salesperson license application or by an original certificate with a raised school seal.
Here is what you need to know to begin your education:
NY State Requirements
To sell, lease, or rent real property in New York State for a flat fee or commission, a New York Real Estate license, to act as a Real Estate Salesperson or a Real Estate Broker, is required. A Salesperson has to be associated and supervised by a NY licensed Broker. Real Estate brokers supervise and are responsible for the activities of associate brokers and the salespersons they employ.
To Get a New York Real Estate License you have to:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have no Felony charges on record
- Submit proof of US Residency
- Complete 75 hours of pre-license education including a passing grade on the final course exam. (Those salesperson applicants who completed the 45 hour salesperson course prior to July 1, 2008 may complete the additional 30 hour qualifying course to satisfy the 75 hour requirement.)
- Take and pass the NY State examination
- Have the Sponsor (your real estate broker, who will supervise you in the future)
- Submit a Salesperson application and associated fee
For more information, please visit the Department of State website.
How does a Course work?
The price for the course is only $300.00. You will get:
- Free text book (Marcia Darvin Spada - New York Real Estate for Salespersons - 6th Edition)
- Free private lesson
The complete New York Real Estate License course covers 19 topics:
- License Law and Regulations
- Law of Agency
- Legal Issues I
- Legal Issues I
- The Contract of Sales and Leases
- Real Estate Finance
- Land Use Regulations
- Construction and Environmental Issues
- Valuation Process and Pricing Properties
- Human Rights and Fair Housing
- Real Estate Mathematics
- Municipal Agencies
- Property Insurance
- Taxes and Assessments
- Condominiums and Cooperatives
- Commercial and Investment Properties
- Income Tax in Real Estate Transactions
- Mortgage Brokerages
- Property Management
Completing the Course
Start Immediately! Start With Any Session! In Any Order!
You can complete the course in 18 school sessions by taking classes three days a week in the morning at 9 AM or in the evening at 6 PM. You can also complete the course in 9 school days by taking morning and evening classes three days a week. Upon registration, you can start immediately with any session number. Sessions are independent to one another and you can take sessions in any order for your convenience.
The Final Course Exam for the 75 hour Real Estate Pre-license Course is administered in a proctored environment. Required passing grade is 70%.
Remedial Course Requirements
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE STATE REQUIREMENT WAS CHANGED TO 75 HOURS STARTING JULY 1, 2008. YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR APPLICATION IN WITH THE STATE BY JUNE 30TH, 2008. IF YOU DO NOT FINISH IN TIME YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAVE A 30-HR REAL ESTATE SALESPERSON REMEDIAL COURSE.
More questions? Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions at the NYS Department of State website.